From Classroom to Cubicle

Hey there, fellow Setters! It’s your favorite Pace University student here, ready to share my journey of navigating the choppy waters of job-hunting. If you’re anything like me, you know that the mere thought of entering the “real world” and finding a job can be as terrifying as accidentally walking into an advanced calculus class (seriously, the horror). But fear not, my friends, because I have emerged victorious, and I’m here to share my tips, tricks, and anecdotes with you!

First things first, let’s set the scene: It’s the beginning of my senior year, and I am blissfully unaware of the impending doom that is job-searching. I’m living my best life, juggling classes, internships, and a social life that mainly consists of late-night pizza runs and binge-watching Netflix. But then, reality hits – and it hits hard. Suddenly, I’m bombarded with questions about my post-graduation plans at every family gathering, and the pressure is on.

So, what do I do? I dive headfirst into the job-hunting process, armed with nothing but sheer determination and an overly-ambitious resume that may or may not have slightly exaggerated my proficiency in Microsoft Excel.

The first step in my journey was attending the Pace University Career Fair, which was both an informative and mildly horrifying experience. Picture this: hundreds of well-dressed students and recent grads, armed with stacks of resumes and elevator pitches, all vying for the attention of potential employers. I quickly realized that I had to stand out, and thus, my strategy was born. I approached every booth with a smile, a firm handshake, and a joke that was guaranteed to elicit at least a polite chuckle (or a pity laugh, but hey, I’ll take what I can get). And you know what? It worked! I left the fair with a stack of business cards and a newfound sense of confidence.

Next up: the dreaded interview process. Now, I won’t lie to you – I am no stranger to interview-induced anxiety. I’ve been known to talk a mile a minute, stumble over my words, and awkwardly overshare personal stories that have absolutely nothing to do with the job at hand. But, as I embarked on this new journey, I looked up common interview questions, practiced in the mirror and with my roommate and decided to embrace my flaws and turn them into strengths. I used my nervous energy as fuel for my passion and enthusiasm, and my tendency to overshare made me relatable and authentic. And most importantly, I never lost my sense of humor – because if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that laughter truly is the best medicine (especially when it comes to soothing interview jitters).

After countless applications, interviews, and rejection emails that I tried not to take too personally, I finally landed the perfect job! As I look back on my journey, I can honestly say that I wouldn’t change a thing. The trials and tribulations of job-hunting taught me valuable lessons about perseverance, self-confidence, and embracing my unique qualities. And hey, who needs Microsoft Excel skills when you’ve got a killer sense of humor, am I right?

So, to my fellow Pace University students who are embarking on their own job-hunting journeys, I say this: don’t be afraid to let your true selves shine, even in the face of intimidating employers and seemingly impossible obstacles. You are capable, you are unique, and you are destined for success – and if all else fails, crack a joke and see what happens!

Until next time, fellow Setters – stay ambitious, stay hilarious, and stay true to yourselves. The world is your oyster, and I have no doubt that you’ll conquer it with a smile and a laugh.